"Abundance has brought beautiful things to our lives, but that bevy of material goods has not necessarily made us much happier," writes Daniel Pink in his book A Whole New Mind, "The paradox of prosperity is that while living standards have risen steadily decade after decade, personal, family and life satisfaction haven’t budged. That’s why more people—liberated by prosperity but not fulfilled by it—are resolving the paradox by searching for meaning." boundlessline.org
I have been thinking a lot about our materialistic society lately. So many marriages end over financial problems...not having enough, not spending within your means, etc. And I thought this quote was so interesting and true. Some of the wealthiest people I know, are also unhappy with their lives. They feel as tho something is missing. This is not to say that people cannot be wealthy and happy, but when people replace the void that God should be filling, with material possessions, they are still not filling that nagging void.
In our society, I feel like people no longer follow their passions because it may not be as financially rewarding. God has given each of us passions for a specific purpose. Of course I feel it is important to be able to support yourself financially and to live within your means, but I think God realizes that we will be happiest when we're living out our passions and glorifying Him through this. "Resisting what you're called to do can 'unravel' your life." I would much rather be living in God's will for my life, following my passions, living with joy, than be wealthy and unfulfilled. When we turn to God to fill the void in our lives, then we can truly be happy.

No comments:
Post a Comment